Sunday, May 17, 2015

Windy and hot

All I saw in the morning was finches on the feeder and wrens around their house.  A dragonfly perched briefly and a cabbage white butterfly never paused.

After lunch, we sat outside and finally I began to see life.  The painted skimmer dragonfly returned and this time I could see its face.  Wasps were everywhere - K rescued a swimmer.  A blue metallic flier I think was a boring beetle investigated the post.  Skinks ignored us. 

Chickadees dangled from twig tips.  I think they may have been fledglings.  The wrens stayed busy and song-full.  A blue jay arrived with loud squawks and left again with two little birds on its tail.  Kids in what looked like a plastic bathtub paddled on the creek.  Then a woman came along in a yellow kayak.  A yellow crowned night heron flew right over me when I didn't have the camera. 

Clouds piled up and rain sent us inside.  I think the blood-sucking bugs knew the rain was coming and wanted some protein to be prepared to lay eggs.  A big dragonfly and swallows zoomed around catching dinner. 

I did not see a hummer all day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment