Thursday, April 20, 2017

Blue jays lurking

The day began with clouds and wind, but was warm.  I kept seeing blue jays flitting around the periphery of the yard. The white throats weren't so shy.  Crows continued to drink from the pool cover puddle.  They also showed us that something had taken down the suet feeder which was lying in pieces on the lower patio next to the lump of suet. 

Eventually I went out and hung the second hummingbird feeder under the oversized water moat I bought last winter. I also scattered milkweed and zinnia seeds in the mulch.  Paper wasps were working hard, but I only saw the dark ones.  While we ate lunch, I glimpsed a skink in the mulch, but never got a good look, much less a photo. We also saw a swallow swoop over the pool. 

On the way back from my afternoon meeting the car thermometer registered 88 F.  By that time thunderous looking cumulus were piled on the horizon.  But they did nothing except create spectacular sunbeams.  As I was about to leave again, I saw a yellow crowned night heron down by the water's edge.



No comments:

Post a Comment