Saturday, April 8, 2017

Calm, at last

Blue sky was reflected in the creek.  It was undisturbed except by geese, mallards, and buffleheads.   There was a breeze, but nothing to disturb the birds, though it felt chilly to me.  Lots of white throats fussed at each other.  I didn't get the mealworms out fast enough for the wren.  A downy woodpecker visited, as did a titmouse.

I saw a black swallowtail clinging to a redwood branch when the breeze picked up before lunch. A robin came for a drink.  The male red bellied woodpecker danced with impatience on an oak branch while I was outside.  After I came in, he descended on the suet.  Two wrens showed up for mealworms.  And the white throats never stopped.  The coral honeysuckle was covered with flowers and the grass was dotted with blue and white violets.

In the afternoon, I went to a workshop in the Brock Environmental Center.  It looks out over marsh and the Lynnhaven.  I didn't see too much of birds, but some interesting flowers: asters, wisteria, scotch broom, raspberry, and a little yellow flower that might actually be native.

When I got home, I saw a brown thrasher in addition to the white throats, wrens, titmice, and feeder regulars.  By then the birdbath had gone dry to the disappointment of a stumpy-tailed squirrel.  The moon rose fat and bright.


No comments:

Post a Comment