Saturday, April 1, 2017

Potting and nesting

The sky was overcast and the dam outfall looked like a Class IV rapids when I got up.  The splashing water soon attracted herons.  A downy woodpecker worked on the remnant of suet.  Then the male red belly took over while a yellow rumped warbler perched on the feeder hanger.  A dove foraged in the mulch.  A slug headed back down the window.   Carpenter bees and other bumblebee look-alikes were busily feeding on the rosemary and the blueberries.

At lunch time two female hooded mergansers paddled together.  A snowy egret waited by the dam.  A female bufflehead dived repeatedly in about the same spot.  The water was placid away from the dam.  It was also coated with pollen. 

I re-potted the two plants I bought, so now there is a second hanging basket with flowers I hope might attract a hummingbird.  According to the map they've been sighted in Virginia.  I also put out a hummer feeder with juice instead of the front suet feeder.  We consolidated the suet in the back yard feeder.  Bluebirds were definitely flying to the bluebird house.  And the wren was definitely settled in the other hanging basket.

There had been sun mid day, but then the clouds returned and I got chilly.  I was taking advantage of the wet soil to pull out more leucojum bulbs.  it's pretty but horribly invasive.  When I threw the store's flower pots away, a sizable spider dangled from the lid of the garbage can.  Crows and a gull joined a heron at the dam outfall.  After I came in, the sky cleared again.  It was still clear after dark and a crescent moon was descending toward the West.


No comments:

Post a Comment