Friday, April 14, 2017

First hummingbird!

At breakfast, the creek was still, but speckled with pollen and fallen petals.  A male hummer appeared around 7:30am and hovered briefly around the suet, clearly remembering that as the location of the hummer feeder.  I hope it found the feeder out front.  Or some of the tubular flowers around the yard.  A different butterbutt came for suet.  This one was about two-thirds molted into summer plumage.  A Carolina wren whacked at the mealworms.   A titmouse also favored suet.  White throats excitedly flitted and popped all over like they had ADHD.  I glimpsed a couple of buffleheads on the creek.  I had assumed they'd moved on. Just as I was leaving for my haircut, I spied a brown thrasher thrashing mulch in all directions.

At lunch time, dragonflies buzzed around the patio. I saw a tiger swallowtail and a small orange butterfly.  A downy woodpecker came for suet.   When K moved the pepper outside, we saw both bluebirds in the pecan.  One quickly flew into the birdhouse.  As the afternoon went on, the sky clouded over.  In the evening I saw a great blue heron below the dam.  Sunset was a bar of orange below a roof of cloud.


No comments:

Post a Comment