Thursday, April 13, 2017

Cooler

First the cat walked past.  Then two geese explored the pool cover.  There are other creatures I'd rather see in the morning.  Eventually a wren, a warbler, a titmouse, and white throated sparrows showed up.  The warbler didn't look familiar so it might have wintered further South.  Fluffy clouds drifted across the sky.  It was breezy. 

When I got home for lunch K was out, so I planted the broken piece of ice plant I'd persuaded to root.  I watered all the potted and recently planted in the front of the house.  That included the wren's petunia, but nothing stirred.  I saw a very thin, black inchworm (geometrid caterpillar) and a dragonfly along with bees and wasps, and later a tiger swallowtail.  A blue jay flew over the house.  The female bluebird kept watch from the pecan.

By evening there was a lot of cloud cover and the temperature had dropped down into the 50s.  A downy woodpecker worked on the suet.  White throats scurried around under the feeder.  This warm week probably sent a lot of migrants North, but not the white throats. 


No comments:

Post a Comment