Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Hot sun

The tide was still running high this morning.   The fungus grew quite a bit.  I fished a dead caterpillar, a drowned cicada, and several black ground beetles from the pool. 

A black swallowtail egged the rue.  I saw two dragonflies, one I think was a blue dasher zipped around the hibiscus and the other darted out from the top of the cherry.  All I glimpsed of that one was brown wings.

Goldenrod was blooming.  A skink eluded me.  I wondered if the milkweed bugs (Oncopeltus fasciatus) were taking care of their nymphs, but research said no.  They stayed close and one even covered the nymphs with its body.  The nymphs had molted and left shed exoskeletons littering the pods. Some of the milkweed bugs are quite red while others are a faded orange.  Sex?  Age? 

A jumping spider lurked near the nymphs that were about the same size.  I also saw a brown stink bug on the steps.  The Argiope seemed well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment