Sunday, September 23, 2018

Rain?

Everything dripped at breakfast and the windows were fogged.  K asserted it was dew but it looked to me like overnight rain followed by high humidity. I checked on the Argiope and thought it looked thinner, but I couldn't see any egg case.  The caterpillars on the rue ignore it. 

After lunch I was determined to swim even though rain was sprinkling.  And I was right because the sprinkles went away almost immediately.  Milkweed bug nymphs had hatched.  Wasps were still at work.  I watched a crow hammer an acorn.  The afternoon was shattered by the noise of the air show miles away until finally four jets buzzed the house.  I saw a lacewing in flight, a magical flutter of green gauze.  Later a grasshopper startled me and got away before I could even be sure what kind it was.

K got potting soil for the hanging plants on the front patio so I thought I'd better make a start.  I worked on the fuschia and discovered it was waterlogged.  I hope I didn't kill it.  At any rate, I finished after 5pm, filthy and sweaty and still in my wet swim suit.  By the time I got that rinsed and me washed, there had been a rain shower.  It could not have been more than 15 minutes.  I was hoping for something that would let me off the hook for watering.

This article was in the newspaper. "The un-scientific experiment is called the windshield test. Wilson recommends everyday people do it themselves to see. Baby Boomers will probably notice the difference, Tallamy said."  I can corroborate that - I was noticing how much less common bug splats were on long drives, despite my Cube's flatter windshield. 

No comments:

Post a Comment