Monday, September 3, 2018

Quiet holiday

A monarch came for breakfast.  Later I saw swallowtails edged in yellow, black or palamedes or both.  A butterfly alighted on my chair where I couldn't see most of it but I think it was a painted lady - it had three white spots in the outer corners of the front wings. 

Hummers were around all day, as were blue jays. One blue jay kept dropping acorns in the pool  A blue dasher perched at lunch and a slaty skimmer at supper.  Several skinks prowled the concrete at lunch. 

Two dead skinks and two very dead frogs were in the skimmer.  Nothing required rescuing. I saw several glass snails on the sides of the pool.  I checked on the argiope and found it still in its web in the same spot.

Apparently when I emptied all my seeds around the yard in May, before surgery, one of them was a red milkweed just like those I admired at church.  Beauty berries were beginning to turn purple.  Spartina and saltbush were flowering. In the West haze congealed into clouds that at sunset glowed gold then magenta. 


No comments:

Post a Comment