Saturday, September 1, 2018

Still summer

Finally, a hummer found the scarlet climber flowers.  A couple of titmice, maybe more, breakfasted on sunflower seeds.  Then a Carolina wren investigated.  A brown thrasher landed on the feeder roof and was gone.  The sky was partly cloudy and the creek quiet.  Two hummers argued over everything including who got to sit in the cherry and keep watch on the feeder.

At lunch, a black swallowtail fed on the milkweed.  Fiery skippers preferred the portulaca.  The camera recovered from whatever I did. I was late getting out to the pool and clouds were already building up.  The rain started before my fingers were even wrinkled.  But I had fished a dead cicada and a dead frog out of the skimmer.  And, I rescued a live skink which foolishly sought to escape me by darting into the skimmer. I let it go and hustled into the house where I'd left the camera, because of the threatening clouds.  Wasps took refuge in the outdoor light fixtures.  Thunder grumbled for an hour as the rain appeared to quit, then started again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment