Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Cooler

In the cold, gray light of morning nothing stirred but the North wind in the trees.  The feral cat walked through the yard and kept going. Eventually birds appeared including a very perky Carolina wren.  A bird seized the top of the pine where it was a silhouette against the overcast but the camera revealed it was a great crested flycatcher. 

By the time I went to vote, the overcast had turned to cirrus feathers and soon the sun occupied an intensely blue sky.  The temperature was about the same inside or out, but it was still quite breezy.  An abundance of dragonflies and wasps were joined by a black and a tiger swallowtail.  One dragonfly was new to me.  I think it was a Stylurus plagiatus - Russet-tipped Clubtail.  I was just thinking that I have not seen any amberwings or saddlebags or widow skimmers to date when a widow skimmer appeared. 

I glimpsed an osprey and an egret.  The crape myrtle was blooming.  The leaf miners ate the lower leaves of the hibiscus despite the neem oil spray.  The first quarter moon was overhead as the setting sun gilded the treetops.  


No comments:

Post a Comment