Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Home at last


I saw waterlilies blooming last Wednesday when the train cut through the edge of the Great Dismal. Today I saw more North of Quantico, but those were still closed up when the train passed. I didn’t see any along the Chichahominy swamp.

Mimosa, Ailanthus. and sumac were blooming, Closer to the ground, chicory, Queen Anne’s lace, and several yellow-flowered weeds were in bloom.  A couple of osprey flew upstream over the Potomac and later I saw a great blue heron flying North. A cabbage white, a sulphur, and a monarch were attracted to the aforementioned weeds.

At home, I saw a silver spotted skipper, a male widow skimmer, and a great golden digger wasp. I rescued a spider and a horntail which did not revive while I watched. 

A hummer had a long drink through its long beak. An osprey settled into the tall pine and soon crows began to arrive below and hop upward branch to branch, sneaking up on the osprey. 

The wild cherries were starting to ripen and the blueberries needed picking.  Red flowers, hibiscus, gladiolus, and roses, confused a hummer.  It was hot again, touching 90°F according to the car, under a hazy sky. There was only a light breeze. 


No comments:

Post a Comment