Saturday, June 1, 2019

Stormy start to June

Rain fell all night and into the morning.  I heard plenty of thunder before I went to bed.  During a lull at breakfast, a titmouse visited the feeder.  But the streaked window defeated the camera. Judging by the ant moat, we got half an inch of rain.  And it was definitely cooler, though humid. 

By lunch, the sky was clearing.  A blue tailed skink scuttled across the step.  A cardinal worked on a nest in the camellia.  I went out and worked on the poison ivy in the hope that the rain had loosened its roots.  Now I just hope I didn't get any on me.  The pool was full of dead juniper needles, pine needles, cherry leaves, spiders, and beetles. 

I got a couple of decent shots of a twelve spotted skimmer in flight at treetop level.  A skipper came for some lavender nectar and then a little, gray, leaf cutter bee wanted some too.  They were behind me so all I caught was the skipper.  The cilantro perked up from the rain and small wasps discovered the flowers.  There were fewer dragonflies when I had expected more, thinking that the rain would have encouraged mosquitoes and midges. 

A blue jay made a foray to the barkbutter/mealworm porridge that the rain had made.  The titmouse came back. Four chickadees acted silly, chasing and hanging off things. A house wren scolded them off the feeder.  Then a night heron landed on a high, dead branch and plucked a twig which it carried away.  It was silhouetted by the sky. Fireflies came out while the cardinal was having his bedtime snack. 


No comments:

Post a Comment