Saturday, June 15, 2019

Warmer

 A hummer came for breakfast.   So did cardinals.  I wasted pixels chasing a tiger swallowtail with the camera.  When I did catch it, the wrong branches of the cherry tree were in focus.  The wild cherries were beginning to get red. 

 A great blue heron stalked the mud at low tide till a kayaker startled it.  Dragonflies watched from dead saltbush branches.  One was a great blue skimmer and the other a Needham's skimmer.  The camera wanted to focus on the water.  Four turtles soaked up sun on the lake snags. 

Basilica spiders were all over the rue.  I saw a bright metallic blue bee under the parsley, but it got away.  And I rescued a drowning cicada killer. 

A buckeye butterfly fed on the parsley.  Another golden Needham's skimmer stayed low on the rosemary to avoid the wind and the wasps.  Then a male Needham's showed up in all his red glory.

A Carolina wren seemed interested in the birdhouse in the camellia.  The paper wasps were frustrated by the treated wood in the bench seat.  A tired dragonfly landed on a chair back and refused to move. 

I was worried about the mountainmint because it was getting pale.  Turns out that happens before blooming.  But now I'm not sure I got the right kind of mountainmint.  What I got was clustered mountainmint.  Common or Virginia mountainmint apparently has prettier flowers.  And there are more mountainmints


No comments:

Post a Comment