Sunday, June 16, 2019

Hunters

Low tide got very low in the afternoon.  Only one dragonfly monitored the water's edge.  Three turtles basked on the lake logs. 

In the pool, I found a mama spider clinging to the floating thermometer so I hauled the whole thing out to let her off.  And I forgot to look at the temperature.  The wind had caused many bees and wasps to fall into the water.  Most were drowned.  I rescued an adult spittlebug though I probably should have left it to drown like I did the Japanese beetles.  While I was in the water a variegated fritillary fluttered all over laying eggs I presume.  It didn't come back after I got out.  However, a widow skimmer did pose briefly. 

A yellow crowned night heron hunted crabs at the edge of the vegetation, successfully.  A little black bee worked on the lavender.  A skink kept to the cover of the violet leaves.  Then I went in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment