Monday, December 7, 2020

Nasty weather

The wind wasn't too bad and birds care less about rain than I do.  A bufflehead drake was barely visible on the creek at breakfast.  The feral cat prowled through the yard, making the birds shy.  As soon as it wandered off, out they popped.  First was a white breasted nuthatch.  Juncos followed.  

Then I had a meeting online.  When it was over, I saw a hooded merganser and a bufflehead, both drakes, on the water.  At lunch, a Carolina wren hunted bits of peanut dust I'd tossed outside to empty the container.  The red bellied woodpecker worked on the suet.  A white throated sparrow poked through the wet mulch.  A pine warbler tried to join the woodpecker.  A bluebird went for the bark butter balls and a goldfinch eyed the sunflower seeds.  Then a female oriole showed up!  Cold rain made me regret I had an appointment but I made the best of it and also picked up an order of bird food. All the bird had disappeared when I got home.  



No comments:

Post a Comment