Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Dog days

Yes, at this time of year Sirius rises just before the sun, not that I plan to rise and see it. (Or the Perseids either)  But today marked the arrival of Andy in our household.  He is the first pet in 45 years.  I do not count my ill-fated attempt to raise pheasants decades ago.  

I rescued various bees and beetles from the water, including a sidewalk tiger.  A sycamore leaf had a crab spider and one of the multitude of brown scarab Junebugs rafting on it.  I put the leaf on the concrete but the critters did not believe they were out of the water and scurried around the leaf and over each other.  A large brown click beetle I rescued dashed back into the water.  I hauled it out again and after kicking the air for a while, it died.  Apparently there are a whole lot of plain brown click beetles and this one was only notable for its size so click beetle is as close as I could get.  

The Argiope was still in its space between plants.  A widow skimmer used the perch behind my room.  I saw a black and a tiger swallowtail.  Two hummers got into an aerial battle over the feeder but another still searched hopefully where it used to hang. 

A Carolina wren played peek-a-boo with me but eventually I caught it.  Three fiery skippers flitted around the lantana out front.  There were dragonflies out there too but they hid from me. Toward evening a swallow and some 12 spotted skimmers chased insects higher in the air column.  An egret landed under the bulkhead.  After sunset, but still 90° out, I got pictures of the crescent moon.  





No comments:

Post a Comment