Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Humid

Morning humidity fogged the windows so I saw nothing at breakfast.  Then I had a meeting online.  When I looked outside, the creek seemed dusty but full of rings and mysterious surface commotion.  The shoreline Argiope had caught two meals.  I think one was a dragonfly.  

It was noon when I finally got in the pool, and then a big cloud sprinkled the patio and made shade for most of the next hour.  But that was all the rain there was.  I got a better picture of the basilica spider.  Black swallowtail caterpillars were all over the rue and two adult butterflies flitted around them.  One visited every herb, not just the parsley.  The rue had put out some fresh flowers, attracting paper and potter wasps, different from the wasps that prefer the mountain mint. 

I found a skipper on a daisy.  A monarch took note of the scrawny milkweed but not the butterfly milkweed surround by mountain mint.  Instead it investigated the hibiscus.  A blue dasher guarded the pool while a Carolina saddlebags patrolled the upper air. 

The fledgling bluebirds were wary of me but too hungry to stay away from the feeders.  They were followed by the squeaky, brown headed nuthatches.  Earlier, I observed a brown thrasher hunting bugs in the grass near the azalea.  A goldfinch male made a brief stop on a dead dogwood branch.  Then I got busy again


No comments:

Post a Comment