Monday, August 16, 2021

Molting season

I thought this would be the same pattern as yesterday but it wasn't.  An untidy brown thrasher breakfasted on barkbutter mush.  When I cleaned the pool today, I brought the camera, but there wasn't anything wanting a picture.  

After I got out, life got more interesting.  The usual bees and wasps twitched among the mountain mint flower heads.  A duskywing skipper wanted space on the mountain mint.  Then a black swallowtail wanted some too.  The confused swallowtail also visited plants that weren't blooming or suitable for caterpillars.  Clouds gathered slowly.    

A sidewalk tiger beetle posed, its legs looking impossibly thin.  It had a scary face.  The Argiope's web was a mess and it appeared to have caught something as big as itself.  Skinks basked in the intermittent sunshine or rushed about on important business.  

Hummers visited the feeder and I saw one on the canna, but I didn't get any photos.  The young bluebirds were enthralled with the fresh block of suet.  One bluebird caught a sawfly larva on the hibiscus!  They are welcome to all of them.  Papa tried to feed another fledgling on our roof, but it was awkward.  Then one fledgling bumped another off the suet.  They finally agreed to share. 

A messy-feathered mockingbird tried to decide whether to visit the feeders.  I think it was a fledgling but it could have been a molting adult.  Thunder rumbled, the camera battery died, and I took those as signs to come in.  A moment later, with a fresh battery, I noticed a beetle on the arm of the chair I'd just been sitting in.  It looked like a weevil of some sort.  I never saw any rain though K said the pavement got wet.  





No comments:

Post a Comment