Saturday, August 28, 2021

Late summer

A couple of Carolina wrens showed up at the start of another hot day.  One threshed the sunflower seeds while the other tucked into the barkbutter balls.  

The hibiscus was about finished. An aster had a new flower.  Spider mites were suddenly all over the mountain mint.  That didn't seem to bother the bees and wasps but I bet they won't like my attempt to treat the infestation.  A pokeweed plant growing beside the feeder pole began to bloom.  A bracket fungus came up in the same spot as last year, growing on the dead roots of the oak we lost, I hope, and not on the living maple.  There were buds on the saltbush, hinting at autumn.  The mystery plant was covered with buds too.

For a while, a low, dark sheet of cloud worried me but it thinned into froth.  The Argiope next to the rue still seemed happy with its location.  I believe it has grown.  However, I could not see the other one down by the shore.  

I found a metallic blue-green bee in the skimmer and fished it out for a picture.  To my surprise it began to revive.  Meanwhile a honeybee fell into the water.  And a bold Polistes exclamens wasp got a drink right beside the mouth of the skimmer.  I heard a hummer's wings but didn't see it.  I did see some skinks, all living thankfully. 


No comments:

Post a Comment