Thursday, August 12, 2021

Heat index = broil

I made potato salad and was late getting outside and running low on shade, so I left the camera inside and missed photographing the frog and an assassin bug.  It was very hot so wasps were delicately getting a drink from the pool.  When I thought I was sufficiently cool, I picked figs.  There were fewer rotting on the tree than last time, but sometimes I couldn't tell till my fingers sank into a nasty mess.  I expected a lot of insects and birds, but maybe it was too hot for them.  A fiery skipper worked on the spearmint.  Blue dashers surrounded the pool, obelisking.  

When I checked on the Argiope and it was still in its nook.  At lunch, a pine warbler braved the heat for some suet. It looked a bit moth-eaten, presumably molting.  A hummer reminded me that I had started to change the sugar water and never finished.  A slaty skimmer used the perch by my window even though I disturbed it on my way to the figs and back.  Another Argiope set up shop between spartina and saltbush at the water's edge. 

Some rosy cumulus drifted out of the West in the evening.  Haze made it hard to locate the crescent moon.  A hummer made a brief visit to the feeder.  




No comments:

Post a Comment