Sunday, May 22, 2022

Finally, dragonflies!

It was a little cooler today, but not much.  Bluebirds came for breakfast.  Because of my schedule, I had a morning swim.  I saved a bumblebee but a skink had already drowned.  A bronze damselfly danced just above the water.  It was too big for a forktail damselfly, so probably a dancer or a bluet.  (Not all bluets are blue.)  I also saw several dragonflies circling the house.  I think one might have been a female pondhawk and another a darner, but only one of them stopped briefly for me.  I believe it was a female great blue skimmer.

When I got out, I surprised a yellow crowned night heron.  The yellow daylily bloomed and the other plants had buds.  There were blossoms on the magnolia.  Three cabbage whites flitted around the plants but didn't alight.  Another skink saw me and dashed under vegetation, but forgot its tail.  

Three crows hunted something along the shoreline.  Earlier, one of them had tried to figure out a way to get some barkbutter balls.  A Carolina wren cleaned up spilled bird food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment