Monday, May 2, 2022

Still hot

There were a lot of clouds quickly moving East.  Birds ate all the suet and I did not rush to replace it.   The male pileated was outraged.  I did hang another block of suet but this time I left the plastic on with only the lower surface open for dining.  A Carolina wren tapped on the plastic and flew off without further investigation.  But I know the wrens, nuthatches, warblers, and woodpeckers can eat from underneath.I hope the starlings cannot. 

The bluebirds looked for barkbutter balls but only found the disintegrated powder left behind so they weren't happy either.  An osprey plunged into the creek and went completely under but pushed its way back into the air with the fish it had caught.  I saw lots of activity under the water surface but I could not tell what it meant.  Something streaked across the water like a flying fish. 

The yellow rose opened fully in the heat.  I tried to do some yard work and ended up sweaty again.  The wretched lirope was fighting back.  I sprayed neem oil on the mountain mint and discovered the butterfly milkweed had popped up.  So had the pink milkweed that hasn't bloomed yet and might be swamp milkweed, Asclepius incarnata or common milkweed Asclepias syriaca.  I rescued a wasp or fly or possibly a winged ant from the water.  Another had drowned. 





No comments:

Post a Comment