Monday, May 30, 2022

Lovely weather

The sky was more hazy today and there were occasional clouds.  The air was warm enough that the breeze felt good. I took a lot of photos.  What I thought was a brown thrasher preening in the cherry tree was a female cardinal.  

More beetles needed rescue.  One was some kind of borer, probably Chalcophora virginiensis, Sculptured Pine Borer.  Perhaps I should have let it drown? While I was drying out, I watched the rue for wasps. One was striped like a yellow jacket, but it didn't look quite right. 

A dead branch came down last week. I checked it over for lichens, but found only crustose.  But there were incipient bracket fungi.  The wild cherry is absolutely loaded with berries but birds aren't showing any interest yet.  

I inadvertently startled a skink, but after I was quiet for a while, he ventured out.  His head was very red, indicating he was ready to breed.  He posed very nicely so I took many pictures.  Then another five lined skink showed up without a red head, probably a female.  She? disappeared into the same crevice where he had gone.  Some time later he reappeared and returned to the log where he'd been posing.  

A male hummingbird came to the feeder while I was sitting beside it.  He decided I was too close and flew off.  Cursing my luck, I retreated to a more distant chair.  After some time spent skink-watching, my patience was rewarded.  Alas, the light did not turn his throat ruby.  And I realized the feeder is in a bad location for photography.  The background is too close and full of humingbird-shaped leaves.  Still, I was able to confirm that a female hummer also visited the feeder.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment