Thursday, August 17, 2023

Hawk!

It was still wet in the morning.  Blue jays were thick and not very skittish.  A dove plodded around the birdbath.  One of the fledgling bluebirds surveyed the scene, then two of them descended on the mealworms.  

I thought it was going to rain all day, but it didn't.  Nevertheless, I waited till late afternoon to swim.  While I was out in the middle, I heard a little bird squeaking in terror.  It zoomed over me followed by a Cooper's hawk.  The chase circled around the dogwood and came back my way.  I yelled, Hawk! and startled the hawk so the prey escaped.  The hawk flew to a branch of the wild cherry to collect itself, then flew away.  A little later, I heard the crows harassing the hawk.  Of course, none of this was on camera.  But I did rescue a skinklet and insisted it pose for me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment