Sunday, August 20, 2023

Hotter and humid

A female goldfinch was back but she couldn't find anything edible on the sunflower so she went off to try the wild cherries.  I wonder what's become of the males and whether there are young ones.  A Carolina wren was obscured by vegetation.  

The butterfly milkweed bloomed again and also had seed pods.  I checked the milkweed in the front yard - no flowers, pods, or caterpillars.  A swallowtail fussed around the rue.  A carpenter bee dangled from a morning glory tendril as though it were ensnared.  I evicted the frog again. 

At least four blue jays came after barkbutter balls.  They must be sibling fledglings, the way they behave together.  The fledgling cardinal was becoming quite red.  A female hummer fed but I suspect I should put out fresh juice tomorrow.  A Carolina wren poked through the trough of the seed feeder.  A dove foraged beneath.  Then the wren was joined by another on the barkbutter dish.  


No comments:

Post a Comment