Monday, August 21, 2023

Hot and hazy

Again, a female goldfinch came to breakfast, quickly followed by a Carolina wren.The sky was a hazy abstract of cloud wisps and contrails. 

In the afternoon, the blue jays demanded more food and I gave in.  One did the feed-me shivers up in the cherry tree.  But clearly, the parent birds are done with that.  I think I might be able to hand-feed these blue jays, though I don't know if that's wise.  I saw hummers but got no photos. 

A colorful little bug was sitting on the chair arm, so I immortalized it.  A fat monarch caterpillar munched on the butterfly milkweed.  A blue dasher obelisked atop a leafless twig on the wild cherry.  A duskywing skipper fed on the mountain mint.  The bees and wasps mostly left it alone unlike the smaller fiery skippers that they annoy.  


No comments:

Post a Comment