Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Fledging season

First up was a hungry brown thrasher which found and hammered something in the mulch.  A fledgling finch tried out the feeder.  A house wren came to the feeder area - I wish I could put out mealworms for the insect eaters.  The male cardinal continues to worry about its reflection in the pool. 

Mid morning, a big dragonfly buzzed around the patio but never paused to be identified.  A cabbage butterfly also made the rounds.  Then I saw a goose periscoping behind the rosebush and two half-grown goslings headed for the pool.  They were the size of adult mallards.  I yelled "go away" and they did. 

A female widow skimmer caught me without the camera.  A black swallowtail flirted with the rosemary and a skink hid beneath.  Dramatic cumulus made sunbeams but no storm.  A fledgling crow made a considerable racket and was attended by the whole family.  A young squirrel was curious about the pool and me.  I got a nice picture of a long legged fly

A few sprinkles of rain fell toward evening but didn't amount to anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment