Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Foggy morning

A wren worked over the azalea next to the window, picking off sleepy bugs, I assume.  A male cardinal stalked along the pool edge, peering in.  Yesterday I thought it was thirsty, but now the birdbath is full, so it must be perturbed by its reflection.

A titmouse came to the feeder while I had my hands full.  The fog finally lifted after 11am.  Butterflies - cabbage & sulphur - and other insects, including a ladybug beetle, came out to play.  Grackles prowled the grass.  One yellow flag iris is blooming downhill from the pool.  The regulars came to the feeder but all the seed eaters are trying to catch bugs for their offspring.

Today has been cooler, but I finally saw a skink in the late afternoon.  Birds are calling up in the trees, but they're very hard to find, much less identify. An egret stalked under the bulkhead and an osprey circled above.  A squirrel got up in the neighbor's birch to eat catkins. 

Toward evening, a male towhee visited the feeder.  Tonight is supposed to be the full moon but I didn't see it, only the very bright moonlight in the middle of the night, and stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment