Saturday, July 5, 2014

Cool breeze, hot sun

Fluffy clouds are sailing down from the North.  At breakfast, I heard and then saw a hummer at the feeder.  It didn't stay long.  The hibiscus is blooming.  When we went to pick blueberries, I found a clump of caterpillars feeding on leaves.  I'd never seen them before but I've identified them as yellownecked caterpillars.  They went in a bag in the trash can, so no photo.  The adult is a small moth.  Honeybees have discovered the sunflowers. 

At lunchtime, a brown thrasher poked around under the hose spigot.  A small damselfly bounced around the patio. A towhee visited the feeder while I swam.  A wolf spider loaded with babies clung to the tail of the Polaris.  The shade was actually chilly in a wet swimsuit.  Overhead was a first quarter moon.  Late in the day, titmice came to the feeder.  I think they were juveniles.

After dark, I stepped out the front door to see if I could see any of the fireworks.  I could, but what was more interesting was the praying mantis that was positioned on the porch light.  Big scarab beetles bumbled around the door but I think the mantis was after smaller prey.  It appeared to be about 2/3 grown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment