Monday, July 21, 2014

The bird feast goes on

Let's see, in the cherry tree I saw a mockingbird, cardinals, and I think a wren.  A great crested flycatcher perched in the pine.  Both male and female towhee rummaged in the mulch.  A hummer got very feisty and chased both birds and bees as it investigated all the flowers.  The male goldfinch returned.  And an adult fox passed through the yard headed West this time.

I saw a shadow in the pool early that made me think frog, but there's no sign of one now.  There was, however, a mama wolf spider with a load of babies.  I accidentally dislodged her from the polaris tail but she managed to walk on water back to it. 

In the late afternoon, under wet-looking clouds, titmice and chickadees all wanted the feeder.  They frustrated the female hummer with their comings and goings.  The male towhee was back at the mulch as was a brown thrasher.  And a squirrel was up in the cherry tree snacking.

The fox family antics were fascinating.  I think I was watching the parent teach a cub to hunt.  A whole lot of nose to the ground went on.  At one point the cub sat back and licked its muzzle and then the parent came over and put its nose in the cub's ear.  Whispered instructions?

At twilight, when I was bricking the feeder, yet another fox passed by.  It looked at me and then trotted off. 


No comments:

Post a Comment