Sunday, July 6, 2014

Heating up

The temperature was lovely overnight but already the morning has gotten hot.  A hummer visited the lavender, then appeared to be chased off by another.  What is wrong with the feeder?  Honeybees came back to the sunflowers.  A squirrel chased another that had been working under the feeder.  The crows are up to something - I hear a lot of noises beside cawing, and there's a lot of chasing.  The praying mantis has retired to the wall.  It is bright green which I could not tell last night. 

The goldfinch pair are very interested in the sunflowers.  A hummer investigated the hibiscus and the rose.  The mantis has moved on.  Titmice visited the feeder at lunchtime.

Two dark birds circled very high, but didn't look like osprey, eagle, or buzzard.  A yellow crowned night heron intimidated a crow into leaving the dock.  A brown thrasher poked around in the mulch and I think I saw a towhee fly into the sakaki.  I certainly heard towhees.  The pool had scarab beetles, black beetles, and bees. 

Later it became clear there were two brown thrashers. I think one was collecting food for the other, though I couldn't tell them apart. Then, a fox cub appeared briefly.  I think it heard mama call because it dashed off. 


No comments:

Post a Comment