Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Cool

It was sunny with clouds and a breeze.  Although I was up early, I didn't get to observe the yard till late morning.  The regulars came to the feeder.  Then I saw robins and mockingbirds in the closest dogwood.  A great crested flycatcher visited first the rosemary, then the sakaki.

Small caterpillars have dangled from threads off the rotten sunflowers and today I took a closer look.  Yep, they are the culprits that explain why only two of a dozen flowers have set seed.  Sunflower moth caterpillars

At lunch, a female goldfinch visited one of the smaller sunflowers.  A Halloween pennant dragonfly landed on the stake holding up the sunflower stalk.  The sun came through its wings like stained glass.  At first, I thought it was a butterfly. 

Coming home tonight we saw a pumpkin-colored crescent moon descending in the West. 

No comments:

Post a Comment