Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Gray morning turned sunny and hot

A female towhee searched the mulch under the feeder while cardinals forsook it for the cherry tree. 

Sun began to leak under the clouds and the goldfinches arrived.  The male shared the feeder with a male cardinal - very colorful - while the female goldfinch worked on the sunflowers.  A black swallowtail flitted among the herbs. Later, a painted (or American?) lady enjoyed the lantana blossoms in the front yard.  A dragonfly worked from its perch in the back yard, but the sun washed out all details. 

In the late afternoon, when I had recovered from the heat and the day had cooled off, I went swimming.  I rescued a bumblebee (very carefully) and several June beetles.  I was splashing with abandon when I looked around and there was a fox cub, shocked at seeing me.  I said "Hi," but the cub hurried off downhill.  Meanwhile a cloud of titmice descended on the feeder, along with the regulars.  The male goldfinch stopped by the sunflowers for a last meal of the day.  Some dragonflies worked late - I saw a blue dasher and a four spotted pennant.  And tiny ants got all over the camera, I don't know why.  I hope I shook them all off.  The setting sun is turning the sky pink in lieu of clouds. 


No comments:

Post a Comment