Saturday, September 27, 2014

Beautiful morning

At breakfast, the creek was a mirror with bright reflections.  No birds visited at breakfast but K hung the hummer feeder in case migrants passed through.  Later in the morning I saw a Carolina wren and a titmouse in the mulch and the regulars on the feeder.  By then, the creek was no longer glassy.

I went up to Pleasure House Point and walked around a bit.  I saw a brown thrasher, a towhee, and a blue jay.  There was a wild persimmon tree somewhat the worse for fall webworms.  A dragonfly presided over a stretch of wet slough. A jumping spider hung out on the fence.

We ate lunch outside.  I saw a skink as I was minding the grill.  An eagle flew over, preceded by its shadow, but I didn't get the camera organized in time.  Wasps were all over and a tiny spider built an orb web in the rose.  I only saw it because it was in the sun but behind it was deep shade.  Lots of butterflies defeated my attempts to photograph them. 

So I went in the pool again and rescued spiders, beetles, and tiny wasps. I'm still trying to tell whether the spiders are fishing spiders or wolf spiders or what - maybe grass spiders. 


No comments:

Post a Comment