Sunday, September 28, 2014

Passing clouds

I saw the sunrise this morning behind the trees.  There was a heavy dew but I could not find yesterday's spiderweb.  The creek reflections were gorgeous.  Two Carolina wrens visited and I glimpsed a brown thrasher under the red cedar.  Egrets worked the creek.

An eagle (or at least a soaring bird with a white fan tail) and an osprey passed overhead around midday.  An orange butterfly flew fast toward the street and a cardinal appeared to be following it.  I heard woodpeckers and kingfishers. A swallowtail egged the rue where earlier I saw a first instar caterpillar. 

I found a 5-legged bird grasshopper and a little snail in the pool, along with spiders.  A Carolina wren did a head downward imitation of a nuthatch on the oak.  A kingfisher flew upstream and son returned with another in hot pursuit.  Both were males.  Two blue jays and then two brown thrashers quarreled on the ground next door.  The squirrel with the white spot shows signs of nursing recently and seems to have a warble. 


No comments:

Post a Comment