Tuesday, July 19, 2016

What a storm!

Over the last few days, something removed four of the six original sunflowers that had gone to seed but weren't yet ripe.  Some smaller, not yet gone to seed, sunflowers were torn up, but the big ones disappeared.  Raccoons?  An egret rested on the dock bench.  I put out fresh mealworms and the wrens were happy.

Even though clouds covered much of the sky, the sun was fierce at lunchtime.  A painted lady fed on a sunflower.

The wrens were busy when I grabbed an early supper.  K walked past a dragonfly several times but it held its ground, er...perch.  As I drove to my meeting, I could see cumulus boiling up like stalagmites. 

Torrential rain fell on Norfolk about 7:30pm.  We tried to wait it out but the building lost power.  So we dispersed to our cars, getting soaked, and began the process of navigating through flooded streets and dead traffic lights.  It took me half an hour to find a path to the expressway.  The most amazing lightning lit up the East, but it had quit by the time I got home, so no photos. 


No comments:

Post a Comment