Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Sun and clouds

Several times the sky looked like an approaching storm, but in between the sun was fierce.  And a sprinkle around 7pm was all that actually happened.  Yesterday, I saw the farm booth at the Central Library and bought veggies that I cooked today.

A house wren and some titmice came early, along with the feeder regulars.  What the house wren was here for, I cannot guess since they don't eat seeds at all, unlike the Carolina wrens.  A hummer rejected the refilled feeder so I guess I did not get it clean.  I heard a towhee in the cherry tree and saw it fly away but it was just a blur.  In the late afternoon, a white breasted nuthatch came for seeds while we sat close by.  Egrets and other waterfowl of uncertain identity avoided the dredge which moved back into our line-of-sight. 

A variety of dragonflies were on the prowl, but the only one that held still to be identified was a blue dasher.  Similarly, the only butterfly I was certain about was a tiger swallowtail.  The water was full of scarab beetles, but only a few ground beetles and a couple of sidewalk tiger beetles.  I was too late to save a click beetle and a gorgeous metallic-green Augochloropsis bee.  Bumblebees and a few wasps enjoyed the lavender and the sunflowers.  The tiny red Southern purple mint moth was back in the rosemary.  Cicadas were beginning to buzz.  I noticed that the crape myrtle was overrun with Japanese beetles. Fireflies were out again in the twilight. 


No comments:

Post a Comment