Sunday, July 24, 2016

More of the same

Carolina wrens and hummingbirds visited their feeders and a goldfinch drank from the hummer feeder.  House finches stuck to seeds.  A hummer checked out all the red flowers and the window - I don't know whether it saw me or the reflected flowers.  Other critters were zooming about too fast to identify.

When I pulled my flipflops out from under the stepstool, a sizable spider rode along.  I dropped the shoe into the berry bucket and the spider jumped off.  I retrieved my shoe and released the spider into the wild.

I fished an apple-green leafhopper put of the water though I thought it was dead.  It recovered and sauntered away.  I also saved a very small, black scarab beetle. Lots of dragonflies and butterflies tried my patience.  I saw three species of swallowtail and other butterflies I couldn't get a good look at.  The dragonflies I recognized were a Carolina saddlebags, a Halloween pennant, a blue dasher, male widow skimmer, and a bar winged skimmer.

The goldfinches came back and at one point a female goldfinch, a male house finch, and a female hummer were all fussing at each other.  Two Carolina wrens enjoyed mealworms and rocked together on the dish like an old couple on a glider swing.  I saw an egret land across the creek. 




No comments:

Post a Comment