Saturday, July 2, 2016

Sunny day

There was a nice breeze and it was cooler, but humid when I picked blueberries.  They were fat from the rain.  A duskywing discovered the opening sunflowers.  The grass was full of inky cap mushrooms and a big bracket was expanding where the front yard oak used to be.

There were more butterflies today than I remember seeing this year thus far.  Tiger swallowtails, an Eastern comma, and something in a dogwood that I didn't recognize, all got away without a photo.   I rescued a gorgeous metallic blue-green bee from the water but it flew off immediately.  Blue dasher and amberwing dragonflies were more cooperative.  A Hentz jumping spider landed on me and posed. 

The goldfinches visited separately.  A hummer had a good meal at the feeder and later it, or another, examined the sunflowers, but took alarm at the camera.  Blue jays were around and one left me a lovely feather.  I heard a mockingbird and a woodpecker but didn't catch sight of them.  A male brown headed cowbird landed on the feeder but didn't stay.  A dove hopped up the steps and had a good drink while we sat there.  It was interesting to watch it swallow without lifting its head as other birds must. At supper, a Carolina wren visited the seed feeder, ignoring the mealworms I had just put out, and intimidating birds twice its size.  A downy woodpecker also wanted seeds.


No comments:

Post a Comment