Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Beautiful weather

 At breakfast, squirrels were engaged in drama.  The short tailed squirrel got affectionate with another, but the relationship went nowhere.  Then a third squirrel bullied the one with half a tail.  An egret fished in the usual spot. 

At lunch, I saw a titmouse and a white breasted nuthatch, but didn't get a photo of either.  Butterflies, dragonflies, bees, and wasps all flew around the yard.  A heron took over the fishing spot below the dam.  After lunch I watched the bluebirds for a while.  An orchard orbweaver spider had built a web beside the fuschia.

In the back yard, bees fed on the rue.  I'm not sure I'd want to taste that honey.  Chickadee fledglings begged for food and taste-tested inappropriate parts of vegetation.  A convoy of goslings passed.  A great crested flycatcher arrived from the South.  I glimpsed a goldfinch, but not clearly enough to know which sex.  A Carolina wren pried something from the oak bark.  The orbweaver in the iris was still there.  An adult skink zipped into a hidey-hole.

When I left Norfolk, the sun was fat and orange as it slipped out of sight.  It turned thin streaky clouds and the rising full moon rosy pink.  But alas, I had no opportunity to get a photo.  Swallows swooped and chattered in the sky over the Center.  Crows were gathering over the interchange as I passed through.  And I saw a firefly blinking when I got home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment