Sunday, May 7, 2017

Sun didn't last

I was off early to a meeting and didn't see anything in the yard till late morning.  By then it was pleasantly warm, but too breezy for comfort.  A female amberwing clung to a leaf.  A larger dragonfly eluded me.  I startled a hummingbird moth that was hidden under the gardenia.  I saw it flying a few days ago but wasn't sure what I was seeing.  Then I went crazy trying to photograph a tiger swallowtail. 

A titmouse played peek-a-boo with me.  Two grackles poked around and startled the brown thrasher that had been serenading me.  The thrasher came right back, ready to take them on.  A female hummer settled on her feeder.  Later, a female would not perch so I think it may have been a different bird.

By 2pm the sunshine had become intermittent and heavy clouds rolled out of the West.  A heron staked out the dam outfall.  About ten minutes later a couple of geese were followed by a Muscovy duck along the bank below the dam.  A little while after that an egret took over.

The female goldfinch was back for a drink, followed by the male.  The titmouse brought a friend.  Cardinals chased off intruders.  Bluebirds were hard at work in the front yard.  There was a brief rain around 4pm that was not in the forecast.  After that the clouds were fewer.


No comments:

Post a Comment