Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Drying out

The squirrels were hungry but also romantically inclined.  Cardinals also were courting.  And the hummer was guzzling at her feeder.  In between drinks she sat in stakeout in the dogwood. 

Titmice got busy at lunch time. By mid afternoon there was even some muted sunlight. I thought I should clean out the bluebird box but when I extracted the nest there was an egg in it.  I probably waited too long. 

A few mushrooms popped up in the mulch in response to the rain.  There were nubbins of fruit on the fig tree.  I spotted a small damselfly with a red thorax that I'm guessing was an Eastern fortkail.  A male goldfinch landed on the feeder hanger but didn't stay.

A yellow crowned night heron prowled around the dam outfall.  The hummer still guarded her feeder and chased off a male.  She also sampled the lavender.   A titmouse fledgling perched in the dogwood to get fed.  A female bluebird came for some mealworms as the light was fading.


No comments:

Post a Comment