Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Clearing

At breakfast time, a gull and an egret found something of interest in the water flowing from the dam.  A blue jay was annoyed that I hadn't hurried to get fresh mealworms out.

During lunch I saw a house wren in the fancy new birdhouse.  I hope it will stay but unfortunately the afternoon brought too much activity to its doorstep. 

After lunch, the overcast began to thin and soon it was sunny.  I chased off the geese three times and then there was a huge commotion behind a screen of vegetation.  I think something got a gosling.  One goose hung around for a long time daring whatever it was to come out of the reeds and fight like a goose.

 A yellow crowned night heron paused on the dock bench.  A cloud of little black bugs hovered over the vegetation at the North end of the patio.  They landed on violets and cinquefoil and the rose, but not the rue or the money plant.  They look like miniscule lightning bugs with read head and dark back, but they may be flies, not beetles.

I startled a young skink.  A periwinkle had crawled to the top of a spartina stalk when the sun came out.  A small wasp was fascinated by something deposited on a rose leaf.  Meanwhile the temperature climbed and I came inside.


No comments:

Post a Comment