Sunday, May 20, 2018

Drying out

Dark clouds passed over frequently, but no rain fell. Wind gusts smacked the trees and grounded fliers.  The dam outfall was still a popular fishing spot for egrets and herons.  A crow wanted some bark butter balls for lunch.  A hummer was satisfied with fresh juice. 

Wrens investigated the fancy birdhouse but I don't think they will move in.  Blue jays wanted food without posing for a photo, but I got a few anyway.  A female goldfinch came for a drink from the ant moat.

The rue attracted insects like a soldier beetle and a ladybird beetle in addition to wasps.  I saw a couple of dragonflies and butterflies, but could only identify the ubiquitous cabbage white.  The other butterfly was a rusty brown and no bigger.  I saw one skink but it was too fast for me.  I killed one mosquito and a no-see-um, and probably got bit by others. 

Three swallows hunted in the sky and a crow-size hawk circled overhead.  A molting blue jay enjoyed a bark butter ball.  I think it was a fledgling because it was more curious than wary.  The temperature outside was very pleasant except when the wind blew. 


No comments:

Post a Comment