Friday, May 11, 2018

Hot again

At breakfast a great egret and a great blue heron haunted the dam outfall.   The egret soon moved on leaving the fishing spot to the heron.  It was hazy and when the heron caught the sunlight, the effect was quite prehistoric.  A hummer demonstrated that the storm last night had not ruined the sugar water.  It seemed worried and spent more time watching the sky than sipping.

We had some windows replaced which sent most wildlife into hiding.  And I was running all over town and missed much of the day.  I did see a skink at lunch, despite the proximity of men with saws and such.  It was in the 80s when I got home, but I wanted to spend at least some time outside.  I saw insects zipping across the pool but could not tell if they were wasps or dragonflies.  The water on the pool cover shivered with insect activity.  Again the only butterfly was a cabbage white.  A wren looked at the birdhouse but I think I was too close.  Blue jays were doing something up in the oak.   Swallows flashed overhead and I took a couple of pictures of the empty sky. 


After I came in, a little green heron landed on a piling.  It only let me take one photo.  A Muscovy duck paddled upstream all alone. The feral cat was bird-watching in the twilight till I went out to close the feeder.  The birds were not going to come with the cat there.  But now I wonder - could the cat have taken a gosling?  I think it would go after something the size of a newly hatched gosling.  That leaves me ambivalent as I don't want either one.


No comments:

Post a Comment