Sunday, May 6, 2018

Wood ducks!

The rain was pounding  at dawn so I went back to sleep.  It was still raining hard when I unbricked the feeder.  During breakfast two pairs of wood ducks moseyed up the hill and puddled around on the pool cover.  Then they headed over to the East side gate and out of my sight.  Since there were no ducklings,I assume their first nests failed and they were looking for new tree cavities.

During a lull in the rain, a female hummer visited. Slugs slid up the glass.  An egret and then a heron fished in the water rushing from the dam. 

The rain quit by lunch time but the day stayed gloomy ant threatening.  Titmice showed up at supper, but so did geese and shooing them away scared off the songbirds.  I glimpsed the yellow rumped warbler in summer plumage.  The feral cat wandered in from wherever it stayed dry. 


No comments:

Post a Comment