Thursday, May 17, 2018

Floods

There was a man in a boat on the lake by the snags so of course all the wildlife was gone.  I discovered that a crop of obscene fungi popped out of the mulch in the front yard.  The rain had been spitting during the morning but it became steady after noon.  An egret fished below the dam.  An osprey landed in the gum tree next door.  I saw something at the foot of the dock, green heron or juvenile night heron or something else, but it was gone when i looked back.The water was surprisingly clear for this time of the year.

By mid afternoon the rain had stopped but the clouds looked menacing.  A tall cloud over the oceanfront looked like a funnel but it wasn't spinning.  The ditches were up to the road along Oceana, and some of them were bubbling!  Methane, or some warfare-related gas?  And then I came to a spot where the water was over the road and cars were turning back.  So I did too.  I got over to Birdneck and it was flooded too.  The only open road South was General Booth.  Coming back in the dark I tried Dam Neck but that was completely blocked with high water signs, so I went back via the General.  I don't know if that area got a lot more rain or if it just drains badly.  Fortunately our neighborhood only has one spot that floods.  I know the navigation system doesn't have feelings but I imagined I heard frustration when I ignored directions that would have sent me bobbing like a cork. Newspaper coverage.


No comments:

Post a Comment