Sunday, May 13, 2018

Lovely Mothers Day

The temperature ranged from too warm in the sun to slightly chilly in the shade when the wind blew.  I heard a great crested flycatcher but couldn't see it.  Wrens were also playing coy. The hummer however was easy to photograph.I spotted what I believe was a hermit thrush at the far end of the pool. 

One pair of geese were down to one gosling which I threatened to eat if they didn't leave, especially after they photo-bombed my picture of an egret.   An osprey circled over the creek and flew upstream. 

Lots of skinks were out enjoying the warmth.Toward evening the feral cat became very interested in something, probably a skink, that slipped under the pool cover.  A paper wasp constructed a nest in the corner of the front patio.  I saw several butterflied, including a tiger swallowtail, and at least one dragonfly, but the were all too fast for me. 

The bluebirds (also thrushes) were visible from the front patio.  One was drying off after a bath.  At one point I thought I saw a hawk, a large bird with a pale belly, fly away.  Then the brown thrasher demonstrated that it was the culprit that threw mulch onto the driveway.  A blue  jay discovered that I had bought more bark butter balls.  The cardinal pair were still courting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment