Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Giant swallowtail

A stream of dragonflies flowed over the patio, then over the roof, and I believe circled around to do it again.  Fortunately some perched because I'm not able to catch them on the wing.  A female common whitetail landed on the cement.  A male bar winged skimmer rode the top of the pine tree despite wind gusts.  I found a female on one of my perches.  I also found a Needhan's skimmer on a stake, a plastic one the dragonflies usually ignore.  It didn't stay long. 

When I came to the door to go inside, a small wasp was trying its best to use a hole in the frame, but the metal was unforgiving.  I waited till it gave up because I didn't want to have to chase it around indoors.  A wide assortment of paper and mud wasps fed on the rue.  One bully slammed into a smaller wasp. 

A comma butterfly perched on my windowsill and embarrassed me with the detritus on the glass.  I got just a glimpse of what I think was a painted lady.  Then the giant swallowtail arrived and loved the rue.  It shivered with egg-laying joy, then departed all too soon. 

I rescued several spiders but didn't bother with pictures because they were the usual water striding kind.  I also very carefully saved a wasp from drowning.  It's tricky in the deep end with a short twig.  Hummer(s) visited their feeder throughout the very hot day.


No comments:

Post a Comment